Tuesday 2 August 2011

Helping someone out

A kinda weird thing happened to me today . Well you could call it weird for the fact that stuff like that normally never happens to me , or that even if it does , I don't actually have a hand in what happens . So back to what I was saying , me , and a group of buddies , after giving an exam in our chem tution( for which I had absolutely NO preparation , I mean cmon ! What the hell am I supposed to do if our bloody school gives us so much academic pressure . Its not like I'm free all day long , just whiling away my time ) anyways , it wasn't half bad ( compared to how bad i thought it could be) , well gotta admit all credit goes to the somewhat always happening general hall discussion there( if you catch my drift) . Yeah , so after all that we came out and decided to have chicken rolls . Well I told everyone that I didn't have any money on me , and I lied pretty much cause I had some  bucks in my bag , and I knew that. I never go to ANY tution empty handed .( for safety reasons u cud call it) Well the fact was I had made a secret pact with myself not to eat a single fatty or oily thing until I got visibly slimmer , a next to impossible resolution , but hey , I was gonna be upto it . But I couldnt help the fact that everyone wanted to have rolls ,  so I agreed . Fearing that I had no choice but having to break my newly made resolution already( which i didnt feel too bad about breaking for some reason ) we went outside to the roll stand . It was closed thank god . Well the next general option is always is phuchkas ryt ? So it was , we trudged all the way nearly upto the house of one member of our group before we found a phuchkawalla . I wasnt against having a few phuchkas , cause they werent that fatty , and they tasted great . And 10 wouldn't be a reason for  possible indigestion either . So 10 it was . I the middle of my 8th phuchka , I see this old lady , extremely thin and dirty . She was so thin her hands seemed to my just skin and bone . And she was dressed in an old torn 1 dirty white piece dress . She had the decency not to poke and beg like some others I have seen , but silently wait till someone noticed her , then plea for some help . To my surprise and concealed anger and surprise , 2 of my so called friends totally ignored her and went on eating phuchkas . And so did the third  . There was a girl member amidst our group who I think felt the same way as I did , and she said no one would would have to pay anything , and she would give her 10 rupees . I felt SO goddamn bad as she said that , that I opened my rucksack , and took out my wallet and rummaged through it for a ten rupees note that I could also donate . Who cared if my other buddies saw ? I would handle them later . I found only one not inside . Of fifty rupees . Which my mother had undoubtedly given me someday which I dont even remember . Wordlessly , and with a small smile , I held it out to her . She took it and I clearly saw the deep happiness that that small piece of paper had brought her with a surprise .The old lady gave me a sort of blessing in bengali i guess . I didn't say much .  The girl in our group talked to her a little , having given her 10 rupees herself . I dint say anything to anyone then . We finished our phuchkas and we all
went our different ways . I caught a last glimpse of that lady still standing there as I turned around and walked away in the other direction .2 of them lived there , and my driver was waiting for me . The girl would drop the last guy off in her car on her way home . These last two were the only ones who knew how much I had donated . I didn't explain my actions much to them or myself either . I just let it be .  On my way home , stuck in the traffic , listening to POWER fm amd not minding the insane humidity outside , I felt a odd satisfaction inside me , for what I had done . Hey that 50 buck note could have refilled my sms balance or treated me to 2 scrumptous chicken rolls , but I didnt care . Base line was she needed it more that I did , and probably I ever would . My mother was happy on hearing of my deed , when I reached home . But nothing can replace that weird satisfaction you get when you actually help someone in life , in the true meaning of the term.

2 comments:

  1. dude she just tricked you.. dude .. if you have been a good observer you would have seen what she was carrying in her hands..a money bag !! .. that too a fancy one.. nevermind.. though I felt 50 bucks is a lot to give..its good to help anyway.. paid 50 bucks toh...bas .. leave .. don't have to brag now
    p.s. ^ i am not being rude or cruel..

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job! M proud of you my boy...

    ReplyDelete